Careers at all Hours
Posted April 27th 2016
Do you do your best work at night or early inthe morning?
Most of us work during the day between 8 am and 5pm but there are many occupations that work odd hours to accommodate the job requirements. If you have schedule restrictions that force you to work non-standard hours we have jobs that will fit your schedule.
Three categories of non-standard work shifts:
- Evening – between 6pm and 10pm
- Night – between 11pm and 3am
- Morning – between 4am and 8am
If you work the standard 8am to 5pm shift you will be looking for services after you leave work. Restaurants and bars staff up to accommodate patrons in the evening. Movie theatres, casinos, and other entertainment venues hire many part-time and full-time employees to accommodate the demand in the evening hours. Here are some examples of occupation groups and careers that start in the evening hours.
- Arts, design, entertainment,sports and media – Audio and Video Equipment Technicians, Musicians, Media and Communication Workers
- Food preparation and servingrelated – Cooks, Bartenders, Waiters and Waitresses
- Personal care and service –Gaming Dealers, Fitness Trainers, and Barbers
- Sales and related – Retail Salespersons, Cashiers, Real Estate Sales Agents
Most of us are sleeping during the night shift getting ready for our next 8-5 shift. There are occupations that are up and running to help protect us and be there in case we need them. Fire fighters, police, and healthcare providers are all working around the clock to make sure we have the support we need. Here are some examples of occupation groups and careers that start in the night hours.
- Healthcare practitioners and technical – Doctors, Nurses, Emergency Medical Technicians and Paramedics
- Healthcare support – Orderlies, Pharmacy Aides, Nursing Assistants
- Production – Assemblers and Fabricators, Bakers, Power Plant Operators
- Protective service – Police Officers, Firefighters, Fish and Game Wardens
- Transportation and material moving – Industrial Truck and Tractor Operators, Light Truck or Delivery Services Drivers, Airline Pilots
There are occupations that need to stretch the day out as long as they can. Farmers, Ranchers and Construction Laborers start early to capture seasonal cycles and get the most out of their day. Here are some examples of occupation groups and careers that start in the early morning hours.
- Architecture and engineering – Architects, Civil Engineers, Transportation Engineers
- Construction and Extraction – Construction Laborers, Carpenters, Plumbers
- Farming, fishing, and forestry – Agricultural Equipment Operators, Farmworkers and Laborers, Hunters and Trappers
- Installation, maintenance, and repair – Aircraft Mechanics and Service Technicians, Avionics Technicians, Maintenance and Repair Workers
Whatever your time preference is or your schedule demands are there are jobs that will fit your needs.
Take the Career Aptitude Test to see whether you would be a good fit for any of the careers above! Or browse job openings today in your area to see what jobs are available today in the careers above.